The following checklist will help you be better prepared when making your next move and ensure a smother transition. Depending on your situation, you may want to add or subtract some items as necessary.
8 WEEKS BEFORE
- Call moving companies for estimates.
- Dispose unnecessary possessions and/or donate to charity.
- Start compiling an inventory of your possessions.
- Get room dimensions of your new home to help you decide which furnishings you want to keep and which rooms they will go in.
- Start a file of moving-related papers and receipts.
- Locate schools, healthcare professionals and hospitals in your new location.
- Arrange to transfer your children’s school records, family medical records and veterinary records.
- Discuss with your real estate agent when you would like to re-visit your new home prior to closing (if applicable).
6 WEEKS BEFORE
- Secure off site storage if needed.
- Choose a mover and sign contract.
- Contact your homeowner’s insurance agent about coverage for moving
- Contact insurance companies (auto, household, medical, life) to arrange new coverage.
4 WEEKS BEFORE
- Create a file of important papers, such as auto license, registration documents and title, any medical, dental and school records, birth certificates, wills, deeds, and other important documents.
- Notify the following of your change of address: Contact Canada Post and arrange to have your mail forwarded (preferably for 1 year) to ensure you don’t miss any important mail
- Credit cards
- Government agencies (driver’s license, plates, health card, revenue Canada, etc.)
- Relatives & friends
- Insurance, lawyer, tax/financial advisor
- Subscriptions & memberships.
- If moving from a rental, arrange for a refund of your security deposit, if applicable.
- Discontinue additional home services such as housekeeping, gardening service, snow removal, etc
- Start using up things you can’t move such as perishables.
- Notify utility companies of date to terminate/transfer service and/or establish service at your new home.
3 WEEKS BEFORE
- Make travel plans.
- Make arrangement with condo management to reserve an elevator if applicable.
- Arrange for child care on moving day.
- Get boxes and moving supplies & start packing. Make sure to label boxes appropriately as you go.
- Arrange for return of cable tv, internet equipment, etc if applicable.
2 WEEKS BEFORE
- Arrange special transport for your pets.
- Contact your moving company and review arrangements for your move.
- Retrieve/return borrowed items.
- Arrange for major appliances to be moved/delivered if necessary.
- Dispose of flammable materials.
1 WEEK BEFORE
- Pack moving-essential boxes, important documents, travel clothes, personal items and prescription medications.
- Contact lawyer’s office to schedule final signatures and drop off keys for new owners.
2-3 DAYS BEFORE
- Confirm all final arrangements with your mover and other service providers.
- Keep paperwork accessible
- Final walk-through; check all closets and cabinets
- Thoroughly clean and ensure all fixtures and included chattels are left for the new homeowners.
- Pick up new keys from your lawyer’s office
- Check all appliances and mechanical components in your new home to make sure everything is working.