When you sell your Markham home, you want potential buyers to immediately fall in love with your property. You want them to be impressed the minute they drive up to your house. How do you do that? How do you entice and impress potential buyers?
The solution: curb appeal.
What is Curb Appeal?
Curb appeal is defined as the attractiveness of a property for sale and its surroundings when viewed from the street. Curb appeal encompasses all aspects of the exterior of the home from the roof and the paint on the house to the landscaping.
Why is Curb Appeal so Important?
When selling your home in Markham, the curb appeal of the property plays a critical role for many reasons. Here are a few:
It Increases the Value of the Property
One of the biggest reasons to focus on the curb appeal of the property is it improves the value of the home. Statistics show that a home that is well landscaped can receive 5.5% to 12.7% more money than one with no landscaping.
It Attracts Potential Buyers
You want to excite and attract buyers the minute they see your home. You want your house to be at the top of their wish list. To do this, you need to make a strong first impression. When buyers drive up to your property, proper curb appeal is going to excite them and make them anxious to get inside and see more.
It Sets Expectations
Not only will proper curb appeal attract and impress potential buyers but it helps to set certain expectations as well. When the outside of the home is in excellent condition, buyers can expect that the rest of the home will be as well.
Many buyers are looking for a house that is move-in ready. Very few individuals want a home that comes with a long to-do list. Proper curb appeal helps to reduce the anxiety and stress that can come with purchasing a home and they can feel more confident that the home was well cared for and in good condition.
How Can I Improve the Curb Appeal of My Home?
If you wish to sell your Markham home, there are many tasks to consider that will make an immediate impression, increase your property value, and make buyers anxious to see the rest of your home. A few ideas include:
- Complete basic landscaping tasks. Keep in mind that you don’t have to hire a professional to reap the benefits of a nicely manicured lawn.
- Watch out for chipped paint. Take the time to paint the exterior of your house including the trim, shutters, railings, etc.
- Update your front porch. Lay down a new welcome mat, paint your front door, install new hardware, etc.
- Update the light fixtures around your home. New products are not only more energy-efficient, but they can instantly update the exterior of the property.
- Remove all lawn toys, garbage, etc. You want to keep the exterior clutter-free and in excellent condition.
Proper curb appeal is one of the best things you can do when selling your Markham home. For more questions on the home-selling process, contact Markham realtor Martin MacFarlane today.